Our most valuable resource is our people. We empower our team members to be their best and to help us achieve our mission. Meet Benjamin Acojido, Engineering Technician VI at The Building People! He is a key member of our Western Area Power Administration Team. Benjamin has over 30 years of experience in various roles within the utility industry.
Read more from Benjamin about his background and role at TBP.
What is your professional background?
The first 30 years of my career were in commercial nuclear power where I had roles as a Design Engineer, Office Manager, and Business Development Manager. The last 18 years of my career have been in transmission and distribution. In this area, I was a Procurement Supervisor for a large utility and held a Project Manager/Office Leadership role for two nationally known engineering and construction firms.
What is your current role at TBP?
Currently, I am an Engineering Technician VI assigned to the Western Area Power Administration (WAPA) in Phoenix, AZ.
Can you tell us about the work you do at TBP?
I currently provide support to WAPA Project Managers. In this role, I perform tasks as assigned by the PMs. These tasks include arranging meetings, reviewing drawings and specifications, and following up on action items that are identified.
What is a fun fact about you that people may not know?
I currently have a HAM radio license.
What do you like most about working in your role?
The federal government has a new set of requirements, procedures, and processes that are different from a private electric utility. I enjoy learning how things are done with the federal government.
How do you define success?
To me, professional success is working on a project that is done with high quality, under budget, and on schedule.
If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
To be a better public speaker and leader.
What is a favorite quote that resonates with you?
“If it doesn’t look real, it probably isn’t.”
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Listen to the advice of people that are more experienced than you and learn from your mistakes.
What is the accomplishment you are the proudest of to date?
Raising 7 kids and getting 5 of them to graduate from college.
- Press Release: The Building People Appoints Jessica Higgins as Senior Strategic Capture ManagerSeptember 5, 2023
- A Summer of Learning: Recapping The Building People’s Internship Program SuccessesAugust 30, 2023
- Press Release: The Building People Announces New Office in Denver, COAugust 21, 2023
- Press Release: For the 6th Time, The Building People Appears on the Inc. 5000, Ranking No. 3464August 15, 2023
- Why Space Planning Software Is an Essential Productivity ToolAugust 7, 2023
- Press Release: The Building People Appoints Cheryl Neff as Safety and Occupational Health ManagerJuly 24, 2023